Building Your Family’s Toolbox
Here a few examples of things that should be in your toolbox:
- A copy of your loved one’s safety plan
- A list of support people you can call
- Documentation for emergency personal which may include:
- Warning signs and situations that may trigger or escalate a crisis
- Past hospitalizations and suicide Attempts
- Alcohol and Drug Use
- Emergency Contacts: therapist, doctors, support team, etc.
- De-escalation tips and suggestions
- Caregiver Self-care Plan and reminders of your own coping strategies
- Contact information for crisis lines, walk in crisis centres, mobile crisis units, etc.